Advantages And Disadvantages Of Polymers
We discussed about what is polymer what are the types of polymers in this article. If you do not know about polymers, you can read about polymer in that brief explanation. Like other types of materials such as ceramics, metals etc. polymers also has advantages and disadvantages, which define its market and application ares.
What Are The Advantages Of Polymers?
- Processing of polymers can be very easy compared with other materials. No further processes generally required to obtain net shape of plastic part. Usually, net shape of last product from polymer can be produces with one process such as plastic injection.
- Low thermal and electrical conductivity, high corrosion resistance and very good strength to weight ratio makes polymers are very attractive materials for such engineering applications.
- Polymers generally used at composite materials.
- Transparent and translucent plastics or polymer can be produced. This property of polymers make them competitive material to glass.
- Because the melting temperature of plastics is low generally, which provides the low processing temperatures for polymers. Process energies is also low because of this reason compared with metals. Which make polymers are cost competitive to metals.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Polymers?
- Because of viscoelastic property of most polymers, they can not used in bearing load applications.
- Service temperature limit is a such problem to use polymers in high temperature applications. They have relatively low melting and degredation temperatures, so this can be a limit for use at high temperatures.
- Some of polymers can degrade on sunlight and some of radiations.
- Strength and hardness is low compared with ceramics and metals.
- Modulus of elasticity or stiffness is generally low in polymers. But for elastomers, this property can be an advantage for come applications.
Advantages and disadvantages of polymers and plastics can be summarized like above. When you select a proper material for your application or design, you need to select proper material for it by looking its properties. These advantages and disadvantages of polymers can be helpful for you. Do not forget to leave your comments and questions about advantages and disadvantages of polymer below. Your feedback is very important for us.