Creating Hexagonal Mesh In ANSYS(Illustrated Expression)
Hexagonal elements can give very accurate results compared with other mesh element shapes. And the calculation times can be much more longer. But hexagonal elements sometimes can not conform to all types of geometries. But in certain geometries, hexagonal elements can give very good results. In this article, will we show you how to create hexagonal element shaped mesh structures in ANSYS Meshing.
How To Create ‘Hex Dominant’ Mesh In ANSYS?
To created hexagonal mesh structures in ANSYS, you need to rigth click on ‘Mesh’ tab, then hover your mouse on ‘Insert’ as shown by red arrow. Then click on ‘Method’ option as in red box above.
After selecting the ‘Method’, click to select the required geometries to create hexagonal mesh structure on it as shown by red arrow above. Then click ‘Apply’ as shown by green arrow above.
From the list named ‘Method’ above, select ‘Hex Dominant’ as shown by green arrow for your geometry.
Select one of options for ‘Element Midside Nodes’ around;
- Use Global Setting: Uses the option which is used for global mesh element midside nodes option.
- Dropped: The element midside node are not used in created hexagonal mesh.
- Kept: Element midside nodes are used at created tetrahedron mesh structure.
To fill the selected body, you can select one of these options;
- Quad/Tri: Quadrilateral and triangular elements are used to fill the geometry.
- All Quad: Only quadrilateral elements are used to fill the geometry.
If your adjustments to create hexa mesh elements on your geometry in ANSYS, right click on ‘Mesh’ then click ‘Update’ as in green box.
As you see above, creating hexahedral mesh structures is very easy like above in ANSYS. Do not forget to leave your comments and questions about hexa mesh creation in ANSYS Meshing below!