Thermosetting polymers are one of three main groups of polymer materials. Specific properties of thermosettings finds very important application areas in engineering and daily life. In here, we explain the general characteristics of thermosettings and some properties.
What Are The Characteristics Of Thermosetting Materials?
The most important characteristic of thermosetting polymers is cross-linked molecular structure. Becuase of this cross-linked structure, the produced products are made from thermosetting materials has one large macromolecule. The cross-linked structure is obtanied in various ways for thermosettings;
- In the production process of thermosetting polymer is done by mixing of two or more chemicals. These chemicals create cross-linkings between themselves that obtain thermosetting polymer. Heat is generally used to accelerate the chemical reaction. One of the most important example of this group are epoxies.
- The second form to produce some of thermosetting polymers is done by addition of catalysts to accelerate the cross-linked structure creation in liquid form. Without catalysts, these thermosetting polymers stays stable in long times.
- In the shaping processes in thermosettings, heat is supplied to melt the starting granular thermosetting material. Then shape is given by molding at high temperatures. In solidifcation, cross-linkings are created.
The physical and mechanical characteristics of thermosettings that because of cross-linkings;
- Thermosetting materials are less soluble in common solvents than thermoplastics, because of cross-linked molecular structure.
- Thermosetting materials can be used in much more higher temperatures. But there is no chance to re-melt thermosetting materials because of cross-linked structures.
- Thermosets are generally in brittle structure, there is no apparent ductile characteristics as thermoplastics.
- Thermosets have rigidity and better mechanical characteristics than thermoplastics because of cross-linked molecular structure. Modulus of elasticity of thermosetting materials are 2-3 times higher generally than thermoplastics.
These are the general characteristics of thermosetting polymers. Do not forget to leave your comments and questions about thermosetting polymers below. Your precious feedbacks are very important for us.