General Classification Of Manufacturing Materials
In materials engineering, the general classification of materials depends on manufacturing. So These materials are generally called as ‘manufacturing materials’. In this article of Mechanical Base, we will show you how to classify the manufacturing materials effectively.
How To Classify The Manufacturing Materials?
As you can see above, the whole engineering materials can be classified as above. The main classification is;
Metals: Engineering metals are generally used in various kinds of customer products.
- Ferrous metals: Metal alloys or metals that includes Fe elements inside it.
- Nonferrous metals: Metal alloys or metals that does not includes Fe elements inside it.
Ceramics: These are the general structural materials that used in stationary structures.
- Crystalline Ceramics: Non-amorphous, cyristaline microstructured ceramic materials.
- Glasses: Amorphous, non-crystalline microstructured ceramic materials.
Polymers: Easy to produce, petrol-product materials.
- Thermosets: Plastic types that if it is heated, the chemical bondings inside this plastic changes without recourse.
- Thermoplastics: Plastics that if it is heated, chemical bondings do not change unlike thermosets.
- Elastomer: Highly elastic plastics.
Composites: The combination of various kinds of materials to produce desired properties.
- Metal Matrix Composites: Composites that the main matrix material is metal.
- Ceramic Matrix Composites: Composites that the main matrix material is ceramic.
- Polymer Matrix Composites: Composites that the main matrix material is polymers.
So general classifications of engineering material is like that.
Leave your comments and questions below!