Glass Ceramics; Structure, Properties And Applications
The material that is called as glass has amorphous structure and has non-crystalline structure. We explained glass and glasswares in lots of articles in Mechanical Base. But there is an another type of material called as ‘glass ceramics’. In here, we will explain the chemistry, properties and applications of glass ceramics below.
What Is Glass-Ceramic?
As we stated above, to obtain glassy state for materials, non-crystalline structure must be obtained. The chemical or molecular structure of glass-ceramics can be explained upon this phenomenon. Glass-ceramics, basically glass that has crystalline structure. Chemical composition of glass-ceramics is same with conventional glass generally. This crystalline structure of glass-ceramics gives very specific properties to that material. Because of that crystalline structure, glass-ceramics has opaque structıre.
As you know that, if a material has very fine crystalline structure, strength of that material is high. Glass-ceramics has very very fine crystalline structure compared with ceramics. Because of that, glass-ceramics are very high in strength.
Process Steps Of Glass-Ceramics
- General heating and forming operations that are used in glassworking.
- Cooling of shaped glass-ceramic material.
- Reheating of produced shape to create high density crystalization nuclei zones. This high density nuclei zones inhibits the grain growth which will lead to obtain finer grains. Some of agents of nucleation are added such as: P2O5, ZrO2 and TiO2.
- Heat treatment application to glass-ceramic product after initiation of nucleation.
Corningware is the main product of that material. Glass-ceramic material is very high in strength and temperature resistance, it is very suitable for corningware applications. Cookingware, rocketry radomes and heat exchanger are other main application areas of glass-ceramics.
Advantages Of Glass-Ceramics
- Glass-ceramics has very good mechanical and physical properties compared with conventional glass.
- Absence of porosity, good thermal resistance.
- Easy process parameters compared glasses. Very good control over shape, good time to operate in glassy state.
Glass-ceramics can be outlined like above. Do not forget to leave your comments and questions about ‘glass-ceramics’ and its properties below!